Saturday, November 02, 2013

British Children’s Fantasy Classics

Marvelous Tales has a list of 9 British Children’s Fantasy Classics:
P. L. Travers – Mary Poppins series
Edith Nesbit – Five Children and It
J. M. Barrie – Peter Pan
Frances Hodgson Burnett – A Little Princess and The Secret Garden
Lewis Carroll – Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Kenneth Grahame – The Wind in the Willows
Charles Kingsley – The Water Babies
George MacDonald – The Princess and the Goblin and The Light Princess
A. A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh

I've read and loved them all. I would consider them indispensable in any home with children. I might add The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, the Redwall books by Brian Jacques, and maybe Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling. More recent, I know, but I'd still add them.

1 comment:

  1. I loved "The Brothers Lionheart" by Astrid Lindgren when I was little. That should be categorized as fantasy, I would think. And "Mio´s Kingdom" as well.

    ReplyDelete