Saturday, March 23, 2013

I Hate My Flatware


We had a cheap set of "stainless" flatware (well, it was supposed to be stainless) when we married, and it served us well through several decades. Once we bought our very own dining room furniture, we decided to retire the old and buy a new set that would look better on the table. For some strange reason we ended up with Mikasa Rockford, pictured above. As I recall the price was a selling factor, and the set was huge and included serving pieces. We like the serving pieces. On the other hand, the large forks and large spoons are giant-sized; I can't use them at all. We wanted the simple straight lines, but the edges are so severe that the corners are actually sharp. We've used them for a few years now, and I am not growing in my love for them.

I'm not going to invest in a large set of anything. What I've decided to do is buy one place setting of a pattern we think we'll like, use it for a while, and then decide if we want more. If we do we can get one place setting at a time as budget allows. If not, we can get a single place setting of something else that strike's us and try again. What harm's been done? We'll have yet another place setting of flatware we don't particularly care for to add to the drawer. It's never been important to me to have everything match, so I won't mind a bit of eclecticism at the meal table. In fact, it might be fun. I've done that with cups and saucers for ages.

As I begin to notice what's out there, surely something will reach out and grab me. I saw a slideshow at Dwell of 5 "New Modern" patterns, but I don't like them at all. I think my best bet will be to go to physical locations nearby. I'll probably start at Macy's and Bed Bath & Beyond.

8 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! I need new flatware, too, but I've been dragging my feet on even looking at some because I can't stand the thought of having to make a huge decision. But you thought of a way to make it a small decision! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea you have to see it in person to decide what you like. We got tired of stuff that was too light weight and was prone to bending. The set we ended up with is nice looking and strong enough to scoop out some ice cream without bending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. alice, the idea of buying another big set of flatware is something i can't bring myself to do, but buying one place setting? yes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. bob, we had the same problem with the flatware we used to have being a bit on the flimsy side. the flatware we're using now is strong enough to use as an ice cream scoop. that's an improvement over the last set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perfect! I'm going to try it (now I just have to find a classic pattern that won't be discontinued after I buy just a couple of place settings)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ouch, alice! i hadn't thought about that aspect of it. i'll keep it in mind as i'm looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reportedly, some manufacturers offer lifetime patterns that they guarantee will never be discontinued. Just keep an eye out for one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i will look for those, alice. thx for that reminder. i remember long ago when i was looking at china patterns. I liked a noritake pattern but was told i'd be better off with a pattern that might still be around in 5 years. noritake patterns are beautiful, but not likely to still be offered in years to come.

    ReplyDelete