Friday, March 08, 2013

Fire Museum of Memphis

I am not a winter person -I like the heat and sun of the summertime- so I don't tend to venture forth into the world for fun and entertainment during the wintertime. When it's cold and gray, I'm more likely to curl up at home with a book or the computer. The "virtual tour" gives me a chance to venture forth while I stay at home. Neat trick!

We went to the Fire Museum when The Kids were young but haven't been since. I'm sure it has changed a lot since then, but I remember some of the exhibits shown at their web site. Their virtual tour is 2 minutes long. You can watch it here:



There are some views of the building and exhibits at this link.

The museum has a simulation intended to demonstrate how fast a house fire can get out of control. The exhibit is almost too good. Before I went through it, I had no idea how fast a fire could spread or how dark it would be if you were trapped inside. Scary!

There's a section of the web site that lists historic fires with an informational video for each fire. The oldest is a bakery fire in 1864, and the most recent listed is a 1994 apartment arson fire.

It's a fascinating museum.



2 comments:

  1. Fire is one of my greatest fears. The other week, some kids (I suppose) set fire to a deserted pram in a house near us. No one was hurt, but the stairwell was totally blackened with the smoke and soot. One family moved out immediately, never to return, they were so frightened. It´s unimaginable how someone can do that to people they don´t know. Or people they know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad no one was hurt!

    it's been a long time, but we've known people who've suffered through a fire. very scary! and _arson_, i agree is incomprehensible!

    ReplyDelete