Tuesday, July 17, 2012

55 Reading Questions

This seems to be making the rounds, and I picked it up from Kaedrin Weblog:

55 Reading Questions

1) Favourite childhood book? Grimm's Fairy Tales

2) What are you reading right now?
Armadale, by Wilkie Collins;
The Wine-Dark Sea, by Robert Aickman;
Tales of the Dying Earth, by Jack Vance;
The World of Venice, by Jan Morris

3) What books do you have on request at the library? None. I don't use the library. They told me I would have to write my SS# on their application since my card needed updating. No thanks.

4) Bad book habit? None I know of.

5) What do you currently have checked out at the library? None. They told me they won't let me check out any books until I write my SS# down on their application form. No way.

6) Do you have an e-reader? No

7) Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once? Several at a time

8) Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog? Not that I can tell

9) Least favourite book you read this year (so far)? tie between Glimmering, by Elizabeth Hand and Titus Awakes by Mr. aand Mrs. Peake

10) Favourite book you’ve read this year? Bleak House, by Charles Dickens

11) How often do you read out of your comfort zone? very rarely

12) What is your reading comfort zone? science fiction, fantasy, mystery/detective, travel narrative, literary fiction, natural history

13) Can you read on the bus? I don't know. I can't remember the last time I was on a bus.

14) Favourite place to read? In bed

15) What is your policy on book lending? I don't lend books except to The Husband or The Kids. When I've loaned books in the past they either came back injured in some way or they didn't come back at all.

16) Do you ever dog-ear books? No

17) Do you ever write in the margins of your books? Yes, in pencil, and I write in pencil in the front of the book the month/year I finish it.

18) Not even with text books? When I had text books I wrote and highlighted in them freely.

19) What is your favourite language to read in? English. It's the only language I'm able to read in.

20) What makes you love a book? good writing, well-developed characters, intriguing plot

21) What will inspire you to recommend a book? I don't recommend books.

22) Favourite genre? science fiction

23) Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)? I don't know. If I wanted to read a particular genre more, I would, wouldn't I?

24) Favourite biography? I don't read many biographies and don't have a favorite. I guess if I had to name one, it'd be Wilma Mankiller's autobiography.

25) Have you ever read a self-help book? Yes, but it's been a while. I read a few on personal financial management and some on yoga.

26) Favourite cookbook? More With Less Cookbook

27) Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)? none

28) Favorite reading snack? I don't eat while I read. I can't eat without getting food from my hands on the book.

29) Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience. I can't think of one.

30) How often do you agree with critics about a book? I don't see many critiques or reviews of books, especially before I read them. I sometimes agree with what critics write and sometimes not.

31) How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? I don't do book reviews. I write up the books I read and will say whether or not I liked them, but you couldn't call what I write a review.

32) If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose? French, because it's what I studied in school and would be easiest for me to learn.

33) Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? Powell's Dance to the Music of Time, because of its length

34) Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin? I'm not ever nervous with a book.

35) Favourite poet? Edward Lear

36) How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time? I'm not allowed to check books out of the library until I write my SS# on their application form. Not gonna happen.

37) How often have you returned books to the library unread? Back when I was allowed to check out books, I read all the ones I checked out.

38) Favourite fictional character? Rose Red from Snow White and Rose Red, by the Brothers Grimm

39) Favourite fictional villain? Dracula, from the original novel

40) Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation? something long I've never read

41) The longest I’ve gone without reading. I'm always reading something and have been for as long as I can remember.

42) Name a book that you could/would not finish. There are a few books I haven't finished, but I may finish them yet.

43) What distracts you easily when you’re reading? Nothing distracts me easily when I'm reading.

44) Favourite film adaptation of a novel? Tolkien trilogy

45) Most disappointing film adaptation? There've been so many...

46) The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time? I don't remember.

47) How often do you skim a book before reading it? Never

48) What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through? If I've gotten that far, I'd continue.

49) Do you like to keep your books organized? Yes, I divide by genre and shelve in a set order depending on genre.

50) Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them? That depends on the book. I decide on a case-by-case basis.

51) Are there any books you’ve been avoiding? Not particularly

52) Name a book that made you angry. I can't think of one.

53) A book you didn’t expect to like but did? I don't read books I don't expect to like.

54) A book that you expected to like but didn’t? Glimmering, by Elizabeth Hand

55) Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading? Everything I read is guilt-free pleasure reading

No comments:

Post a Comment