Sunday, July 22, 2012

10 Science Fiction Novels You Pretend to Have Read

io9 has a list of 10 Science Fiction Novels You Pretend to Have Read (And Why You Should Actually Read Them). Their list:

1) Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (I've tried 2 or 3 times but never get far.)
2) Dune by Frank Herbert
3) Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
4) Foundation by Isaac Asimov
5) Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
6) 1984 by George Orwell
7) First and Last Men and Starmaker by Olaf Stapledon
8) The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett
9) Dhalgren by Samuel Delany (though I did start this one in my youth, I didn't finish and never got back to it.)
10) Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Ones I've read are in bold print. I think I'll pick up the Pynchon and Wallace books the next time the opportunity arises. I always meant to read them but never got around to it.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:08 AM

    Books I've _really_ read:
    1984
    Dune
    -- A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought you had read the stapledon books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:22 AM

    You are correct, half-way; I have read Starmaker, but not First and Last Men.
    -- A Pal

    ReplyDelete