Friday, November 11, 2011

Notes From A Night-time Pedestrian

I had to walk home from The Grandmother's apartment tonight -there's a long sad car-trouble story there, but I'll skip it for now. I picked a well-lit route and headed out. I have some things to say:

to the guys in the little white car who rolled down their windows and barked at me (hooted? yelped? what was that sound?) as they came up behind me and were still dying laughing as I passed them stopped at the red light: you give the phrase "barking mad" a whole new meaning. I have to say I have never been that hard up for entertainment at 8:00 on a Friday night.

to the very dark figure on the unlit bicycle riding against the traffic: you're supposed to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, but since you were breaking every other road rule, I don't know why I expected it.

to the City of Memphis: I think those corner cuts on sidewalks are a wonderful idea, but what the hell good are they if the sidewalks are blocked with debris or construction cones or are so broken they have to be jumped over?

1 comment:

  1. I like to run and I can't tell you how many times kids have driven by yelling and screaming at me. Sometimes they even swerve towards me, teens should not drive with friends in the car.

    ReplyDelete