Saturday, January 17, 2009

Odyssey by Jack McDevitt

Odyssey is the 4th book in Jack McDevitt's Academy (or Priscilla Hutchins) series. I have read several of his novels, including Chindi, Omega and A Talent for War. I like all I've read by him so far, but I do prefer the Academy series to his other series books.

from the back of the book:
To boost waning interest in interstellar travel, a mission is sent into deep space to learn the truth about "moonriders," the strange lights supposedly being seen in nearby systems. But the team soon discovers that their odyssey is no mere public-relations ploy, for the moonriders are not a harmless phenomenon. They are very, very dangerous-in a way that no one could possibly have imagined.

scifi.com prefers his other series and says, "A number of factors conspire to drag down this tale, developing a germ of a good idea into something of a disappointment."

I like it as well as the others in this series, which is quite a bit. I like the space ships, the AI's, the plots and characters and even the unsolved mysteries. I'm assuming all will be explained in time. I look forward to reading the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment