Sunday, November 09, 2008

When David heard that Absalom had died

I went to Idlewild Presbyterian Church this afternoon to hear The Daughter sing in a concert by the University of Memphis' University Singers, and my favorite piece was When David Heard by Eric Whitacre. Stunning.



2 Samuel 18:33 "And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!"

I found a recording of this piece at the Internet Archive:


The picture at the top of the post is of Gustave Doré's Death of Absalom.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:22 PM

    Intense song. I always feel so exhausted after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I felt emotionally drained. It was well into the next piece before I could pay good attention to the rest of the concert.

    Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete