Saturday, May 10, 2008

Shel Silverstein


Today is the anniversary of the death (well, according to wikipedia it's actually the anniversary of the Monday his body was found after his death of a heart attack sometime over the preceding weekend) in 1999 of Shel Silverstein. I discovered his book The Giving Tree in about 1977 and found A Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends when the kids were little.

Rain
by Shel Silverstein

I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.


The photo came from the wikipedia article linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment